Sunday, October 30, 2011

GP3: The Moment Before - Application

GP3: The Moment Before - Application

Overview Shurtleff says, "the moment before must be strong, full, and meaty; it has to give the actor something to feed on for the entire scene." This post seeks to apply this technique for the moment before.

Application So, in my personal experience, the moment before is usually found in the script, but other times has to be created by the actor in relation to the plot. Here are some examples from a few scenes I have recently worked on:



  • Antigone: Antigone and Ismene -- I (Antigone) have just sneaked out of the royal house in order to meet my sister Ismene. I found out they are not burying my brother, and I've decided that I will bury him myself. But I want my sister's help because she has the same duties I do. There are helicopters and gunshots all around, and we cannot be caught talking.
  • A Coupla White Chicks Sitting Around Talking: Maude and Hannah Mae -- I (Maude) am baking cookies in an attempt to reorganize my life. My husband is cheating on me, and I recently slept with my neighbor's husband out of emotional weakness. I confessed to Hannah Mae, but I want to fix my disintegrating life.
  • The Glass Menagerie: Amanda and Laura -- I (Amanda) just found out that my daughter Laura has been lying about attending business college. As a single mother, I have worked so hard to provide the best life for her that I can. She has a slight disability, but I work all day and am paying for her tuition. I won't be around forever, and I love her so much that I want her to be independent and thriving the rest of her life. 
Critique Helpfulness: 3/5 This guidepost is useful to creating a honest performance when combined with Guideposts 1 and 2. On its own, it doesn't quite stand a chance. Also, when doing a full production, the moment before comes naturally and is easier to find. In an audition situation or when you only possess a part of the play, the moment before is a little trickier to pinpoint. 
Up Next One more application post, and then homework!


Have a happy Halloween, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment