Saturday, October 1, 2011

GP1: Relationship - Application: Antigone and Creon

GP1: Relationship - Antigone and Creon

Overview Ah, yes. Finally, the major relationship throughout the play. Antigone's relationship to Creon is very important for the delivery of the lines. Time to find out where the love is.

Brief Summary of Application

  • Factual: He is my uncle (his sister is Jocasta, my mother), but we are not close.
  • Emotional: I do not love him because he took the throne from my father and then later on from my recently-deceased brothers, and because he refuses to bury my brother (also his nephew). He does not love me because I am a product of incest, and he believes that I am trying to steal his throne. All of these factors make me dislike him.
  • Love: Do I want him to still love me? I know that he does not, but if I do the right thing (burying my brother), then maybe he will forget the fact that my shameful reputation as Oedipus's daughter, and he will finally love me?
Critique Helpfulness: 4/5 Overall, this guidepost has been extremely helpful. If I choose to play the relationship as a positive one, the stakes are higher when he still chooses to have me killed. If I choose to play the relationship as a negative one, then my objective will be much stronger during the trial scene.

Supplement Needed: It would be only beneficial to read the other two Oedipus plays (Oedipus Rex and Oedipus at Colonus) to understand Creon's character better. Whatever he portrays to the royal family then will most likely be the way that Antigone views him and can only further the factual relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment